Standing Rules of Procedure (approved October 2010)
- 1. Name
Legislative Coalition of Virginia Nurses
- 2. Purposes
- To develop a statewide legislative agenda for participating nursing organizations
- To educate Virginia nurses on legislative issues
- To provide a framework for grass roots participation to support the LCVN agenda.
- To promote inclusion of nurses in policymaking bodies such as boards and commissions.
- To encourage and support nurses in elected or appointed offices.
- 3. Membership eligibility
Voting members are Virginia nursing organizations (see membership application).
- 4. Responsibilities of member organizations
- Appoint a decision making representative and communicate the name and email address of the decision maker as well as the president/chairman to the coalition secretary
- Attend Coalition meetings or send a representative.
- Communicate in a timely manner any changes in the decision-maker and president/chairman of the organization to the Coalition secretary.
- 5. Officers
The officers of the Coalition shall be a chairman, vice-chairman, and secretary. Persons holding office in the Coalition shall be nurses licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- The Chairman shall be the presiding officer and shall function consistent with the operating procedures. The Chairman may:
- i. Appoint members to committees and task forces
- Be responsible for communicating with Coalition members on a regular basis during the General Assembly session.
- The Vice Chairman shall serve as chairman in the absence of and at the request of the Chairman.
- The Secretary shall:
- i. Be responsible for recording and disseminating minutes of the Coalition meetings
- ii. Be responsible for sending notices of Coalition meetings
- iii. Maintain the list of organizational members.
- 6. Executive Committee
- Shall consist of the elected officers
- May make emergency decisions for the Coalition that are consistent with the legislative agenda.
- 7. Meetings
- The annual meeting of the Coalition will be held in the spring
- The annual legislative agenda setting meeting shall be held in August or September each year.
- 8. Elections
- Will be held at the annual meeting
- The Chairman shall be elected in the even years
- The Vice-Chairman shall be elected in the odd years
- The Secretary shall be elected in the even years
- Voting will be by secret ballot when more than one candidate runs for office.
- 9. Program Committee
The Program Committee may consist of at least three coalition members and will take the lead role in planning and implementing the annual Summit meeting.
10. Membership Committee
The Membership Committee may consist of at least two coalition members and is responsible for maintaining an up-to-date member database, and shall assist the Executive Committee with dissemination of information regarding LCVN membership with the goal of increasing membership.
11. Operating policies/procedures
- The legislative agenda will be widely disseminated with the names of the endorsing organizations listed in the published copy
- Official positions of the Coalition shall be determined by consensus
- Correspondence external to the membership, relative to issues/positions, shall be disseminated on letterhead developed by the Coalition rather than on any specific organization letterhead
- An officer acting for the Coalition may take a public position consistent with the legislative agenda.
One-quarter of the active organizational membership shall constitute a quorum.
13. Parliamentary authority
The rules contained in the current edition of Robert’s Rules of Order, Newly Revised, shall govern the Coalition in all cases in which they are applicable.